Building a Better Cloud Oracle Platform
Oracle database technology has long been a mainstay of enterprise information architectures. Recent years have seen the rise of a new type of Oracle deployment: the “cloud” Oracle platform that supports metered storage services made available to multiple customers over the internet. Cloud Oracle deployments may be public, delivering services to any organization willing to pay for them; or private, where an enterprise IT group’s “customers” are business units of the same enterprise, accessing centralized data services from across the organization’s multiple geographic locations.
For either public or private cloud Oracle deployments, Progress DataDirect provides industry-best data connectivity solutions that improve service performance, scalability, and reliability while simplifying application development and system administration.
Better Cloud Oracle Performance and Scalability
Because cloud data platforms serve multiple customers with varying demand loads, these platforms need to scale easily without performance degradation. DataDirect’s market-leading ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET data drivers help database cloud providers meet this need:
- As proven repeatedly in benchmarking tests, DataDirect drivers deliver higher throughput and better response times than other drivers, including the drivers that Oracle provides with its database distributions. For Oracle bulk load operations, DataDirect drivers outperform Oracle’s own tool, the Oracle SQL loader.
- While providing applications in your cloud Oracle infrastructure with better data transfer performance, DataDirect drivers consume markedly less system resources (such as CPU cycles and RAM) than competing drivers. This resource efficiency facilitates service scalability and helps you get the most value from your system expenditures.
High Availability Cloud Oracle
Whether your customers are external or internal to your enterprise, if you run a cloud Oracle platform you likely have SLA’s that promise very high availability. To deliver on those agreements you need reliability throughout your architecture, including in the data connectivity middleware sitting between your cloud based applications and your Oracle back end. DataDirect drivers undergo more rigorous testing than any other drivers on the market, and their dependability has been proven in thousands of production environments around the world, including high-demand SaaS and cloud computing deployments.
Simplified Cloud Oracle Development and Maintenance
DataDirect’s open standards-based data drivers simplify cloud Oracle development and maintenance in a variety of ways, including:
- By developing applications against open standards like ODBC, JDBC, or ADO.NET, your applications become more portable and can interface with any major type of RDBMS. This application interoperability cuts down on development and testing time. Application developers are also helped by DataDirect drivers’ built-in enterprise functionality like connection pooling, load balancing, and SSL encryption for enhanced cloud data security.
- DataDirect drivers work without Oracle client libraries, making installation and maintenance easier.
- A single DataDirect driver can simultaneously support multiple Oracle DB versions (8i, 9i, 10g, 11g), further simplifying installation and maintenance.