ODBC Driver for Oracle
Why Progress DataDirect's ODBC Driver for Oracle is the Better Solution
Often when using ODBC to connect enterprise applications to an Oracle back-end, IT managers without much consideration just use the ODBC drivers that Oracle itself provides with their DBs. You can do much better by choosing an ODBC driver for Oracle from the data driver specialists, Progress DataDirect. In particular, Progress DataDirect's ODBC driver for Oracle outperforms Oracle's own drivers and is much simpler to deploy and maintain.
The Best Performing ODBC Driver for Oracle
Progress DataDirect's ODBC Oracle drivers deliver the best throughput and the most efficient resource utilization of any drivers on the market. Applications using the DataDirect ODBC driver for Oracle even outperform applications written to Oracle's native protocol, OCI.
Two main design factors drive the superior performance of the DataDirect Oracle ODBC driver:
- The DataDirect ODBC driver for Oracle uses a unique wire protocol architecture that communicates directly with the DB over TCP/IP, eliminating the need for Oracle SQL *Net client libraries. Doing away with this extra communication layer improves throughput and response time.
- The DataDirect ODBC driver for Oracle includes an array of tunable features that help you optimize Oracle performance for your applications. Implemented entirely within the driver, these performance boosters include load balancing, connection and statement pooling, and bulk loading functionality that doesn't require the Oracle SQL Loader.
The Easily Managed ODBC Driver for Oracle
Progress DataDirect's solution for ODBC driver Oracle connectivity is much easier to deploy and maintain than Oracle's own solution. In particular:
- With Oracle's own ODBC drivers you must install, configure, and maintain Oracle SQL *Net client libraries on each machine where the driver is deployed. The DataDirect ODBC driver for Oracle doesn't need these client libraries.
- With Oracle's own drivers, different drivers are needed to support different Oracle DB versions. Different versions of the client libraries are also required. By contrast, a single DataDirect ODBC Oracle driver simultaneously supports Oracle 8i, 9i, 10g, and 11g.
Rich Support for Oracle-Specific Functionality
In benefiting from the better performance and simpler administration of the Progress DataDirect ODBC driver for Oracle, you don't miss out on important Oracle DB-specific functionality. The DataDirect ODBC Oracle driver supports Oracle-specific features such as:
- Transparent data and tablespace encryption
- Server-side result set caching
- TNSNames.ora configuration
- Oracle RAC (Real Application Clusters)