The Best Way for Your Applications to Access Oracle RAC
Oracle RAC (Real Application Clusters) is a distributed computing technology that enables a cluster of Oracle DBMS instances to work together as an integrated whole while accessing a shared physical data store. Oracle RAC delivers the scalability and high availability that enterprises require in today's "big data" information architectures. Progress DataDirect's ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET drivers for Oracle provide transparent access to Oracle RAC technology while also delivering standards-based interoperability and built-in enterprise functionality.
Transparent Support for Oracle RAC Technology
With an ADO.NET, JDBC or ODBC driver for Oracle from Progress DataDirect, applications can transparently leverage Oracle RAC clusters without any adjustments to the application code. Simply by using a connection string attribute to specify the Oracle RAC system's service name, applications connect to Oracle RAC just as if they were connecting to a single Oracle DBMS instance.
Valuable Complements to Oracle RAC Features
With drivers from DataDirect, your applications not only get transparent Oracle RAC access, they also benefit from driver-implemented functionality that nicely complements native Oracle RAC features. For example:
- While Oracle RAC itself provides failover functionality if an RAC "listener" detects that an Oracle DBMS instance has gone down, DataDirect drivers enable connection failover across the RAC listeners themselves, providing added assurance of high availability for your services.
- While Oracle RAC itself manages server load balancing, in which RAC listeners ensure that processing loads are balanced across DBMS instances, DataDirect drivers provide client load balancing, ensuring that connection requests are evenly distributed across Oracle RAC listeners.
DataDirect middleware enables easy access to enterprise features like these, through ADO.NET, ODBC, or JDBC Oracle connection string properties.
Better Oracle Access than Oracle's Own Drivers Provide
While providing easy access to Oracle RAC functionality, DataDirect's drivers also deliver major benefits that don't come with direct access to Oracle or with the JDBC or OBDC driver Oracle bundles with its DB:
- As consistently proven by benchmarking tests, DataDirect drivers outperform all competing drivers on throughput as well as CPU and memory efficiency.
- DataDirect's standards-based drivers provide your applications with interoperable access to any major database, with features like SQL up-leveling and standardized database connectivity error handling.
- DataDirect drivers are easy to install and maintain, since they require no database client libraries and a single driver can support multiple versions of the target database.
Why not give a DataDirect driver a test run in your own application environment? From our download center you can choose a JDBC Oracle driver download or an ODBC driver Sybase solution, or an ODBC, JDBC, or ADO.NET driver for any major database.