The most widely used commercial databases include "free" data connectivity components. "Free" data connectivity software can also be found in the open source community. "Free" is good…right? Not in this case. Relying on "free"— and often substandard — data connectivity components can actually cost you more than you bargained for in terms of inadequate performance and inefficient use of resources such as CPU and memory.
Progress DataDirect products can be the difference in getting the most out of your virtualized server environment. Data connectivity is our core specialty, and our middleware solutions will make the most efficient use of your server systems' hardware-based resources, optimizing your virtualization strategy along the way.
Here are some key benefits and features that DataDirect products offer:
- Resource efficient architecture — DataDirect products make the most efficient use of your hardware-based resources such as CPU, memory, and network I/O capacity. This allows for greater VM consolidation on your server hardware, for example, going from 4:1 to 8:1 while still allowing your applications to meet their original performance SLA goals.
- Streamlined clientless design – DataDirect Connect products communicate with the database at the lowest level possible, the "wire protocol". This design eliminates the need for database client libraries, reducing the administrative overhead of managing multiple vendors and versions of cumbersome database client installations and the amount of excessive network "chatter"
- Support for a wide variety of operating systems and virtualization technologies — Instead of simply claiming that it should work, DataDirect actively tests and supports the use of all of its products in a variety of virtualization environments including:
- AIX LPARS
- HP nPartitions and vPars
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 Full Virtualization
- Solaris Zones (Containers)
- Windows Server 2008 Virtualization
- Performance benchmarks against competing drivers. These results help illustrate the degree of resource efficiency these products offer and overall response time impact over our competition: