SQL UP-LEVELING: PROGRESS® DATADIRECT® CONNECT
SQL up-leveling is a key feature in Progress DataDirect Connect drivers for ODBC, JDBC, and ADO.NET that enables better interoperability between databases. You can write a SQL statement that can be executed across multiple databases, regardless of each database’s SQL implementation.
- Write SQL statements that are highly reusable across the leading databases and data access APIs (ODBC, JDBC, ADO.NET)
- Improve developer productivity via consistent implementation of SQL across databases
- Achieve better application portability
Why Do I Need SQL Up-Leveling?
Adoption of open standards such as ODBC and JDBC has enabled companies to reduce expenditures by delivering a high degree of interoperability among databases. However, each of the major database vendors implements certain functionality in a unique proprietary format. These proprietary SQL implementations impact the interoperability provided by open data access standards, and have hindered some organizations from realizing the full benefits of adopting these open standards.
SQL Up-Leveling Functionality
The functionality differences from the ANSI SQL standard usually fall into the following broad categories:
- Date and time literal representation
- Syntax for outer joins
- Syntax for scalar functions
- Methods for invoking stored procedures
- Dynamic SQL statement format corrections
- Empty string and null conversions
- Long character string insertion support
DataDirect has overcome these differences by including consistent SQL up-leveling functionality in all its drivers such as escape clauses, SQL extensions, and dynamic SQL statement formatting corrections.