Microsoft SQL Server ODBC Driver
The Most Reliable, Best Performing SQL Server ODBC Driver
Wire Protocol vs. Classic Architecture
Click to Enlarge
The Progress DataDirect Connect for ODBC driver for Microsoft SQL Server delivers the best performance and scalability for applications connecting to Microsoft SQL Server. One SQL Server ODBC driver simultaneously supports SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008. The Connect Platinum ODBC driver is available for UNIX and Linux platforms as well as Microsoft Windows and for 64 bit ODBC connectivity.
DataDirect's unique wire protocol SQL Server ODBC driver eliminates the need to connect to the database through components on the database server. This single-tier architecture results in better response time and throughput and reduces the cost of deploying and maintaining applications.
|Improves the performance and scalability of your applications||DataDirect ODBC drivers are proven to out-perform competitive drivers, demonstrating marked improvement in response time, throughput, and scalability of your Microsoft SQL Server applications. The wire protocol architecture of the Microsoft ODBC SQL Server driver, as well as easy-to-use tuning options, optimizes the rate and efficiency of data transfer. In addition, a high-performance Bulk Load capability enables large amounts of data to be loaded very quickly.|
|Reduces the cost and time of deploying and maintaining applications||DataDirect's wire protocol architecture eliminates the need for additional components on the database server for connectivity. One install contains everything needed to connect to any SQL Server instance. This greatly simplifies deployment and eliminates connectivity issues associated with different versions of SQL Server and its service packs.|
|Provides comprehensive coverage from one vendor||DataDirect offers a SQL Server ODBC driver on every major platform – Windows (including v7), Linux and UNIX, including UNIX platforms such as IBM AIX, HP-UX, and Sun Solaris, across a wide range of processor architectures. We also offer a 64 bit ODBC wire protocol driver for SQL Server so your 64-bit applications can take full advantage of faster processing speeds.|
|Makes it easy and cost effective to support multiple databases / database versions||One DataDirect SQL Server ODBC driver supports simultaneous connections to Microsoft SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008, which significantly reduces the costs of deploying and testing applications. This also allows you to consolidate critical business applications onto a single platform. In addition, DataDirect drivers boast numerous interoperability features that simplify the task of supporting other databases in addition to Microsoft SQL Server, such as Oracle, DB2, Sybase, MySQL, and more.|
|Reinforces your security strategy||DataDirect drivers include advanced, industry standard security mechanisms such as SSL data encryption and operating system authentication via Kerberos.|
|Ensures high availability||DataDirect's SQL Server ODBC driver completely manages application failover and balancing of work load without requiring changes to application code or costly server configurations or database clustering technologies.|
|Guarantees quality and reliability||DataDirect drivers are quality tested and certified with a wide variety of applications and environments and are proven in hundreds of leading commercial software products and thousands of the most demanding corporate environments.|
|Reduces total cost of ownership through superior technical support||In contrast to database vendors and other third-party vendors, DataDirect award-winning support is focused exclusively on data connectivity and includes 24x7 phone, web, email, forum, and an extensive knowledgebase. Resolving data connectivity issues quickly reduces the total cost of ownership of software.|
DataDirect features are 100% driver implemented, allowing you to leverage them quickly, without changes to application code or proprietary SQL Server extensions.
- Wire protocol architecture
- Easy-to-use tuning options and automatic driver tuning via Performance Wizard
- Bulk Load
- Load balancing
- Built-in debugging capabilities
- Enterprise-quality driver logging
- Advanced Connection Pooling
- Statement pooling
- Data conversion
- Socket management
- Network wire management
- Batching and throughput optimization
Comprehensive Database / Platform Coverage
- Windows, UNIX and Linux
- One driver supports simultaneous connections to SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008
- 64 bit ODBC driver for SQL Server available
- Operating system authentication (aka Single Sign-On) via Kerberos
- SSL data encryption
Enterprise Application Functionality
- Application failover
- Windows ODBC Driver Manager for Unix/Linux
- Unicode and ANSI character sets
- Stored procedures
- Interoperability including SQL up-leveling, which simplifies the task of supporting other databases in addition to SQL Server, such as Oracle, DB2, Sybase, MySQL, and more
- Common architecture across drivers makes it easy to support different databases
Quality and Reliability
- Quality tested and certified with the DataDirect ODBC Verification Suite (OVS), the largest, most mature ODBC testing infrastructure
- 100% ODBC specification compliance – leverage SQL Server functionality without proprietary extensions or code
Additional SQL Server ODBC Driver Functionality
- Stored procedures
- Scalar and catalog functions
- Parameter arrays
- Data type conversions
- SQL Server 2008 features:
- Transparent Data Encryption (TDE)
- Database Compression New data types
- New Scalar functions and SQL constructs
- FILESTREAM data type attribute
- Named Instances support – Allows applications to specify a particular installation of SQL Server
- Support for SQL Server 2005 data types such as: Varbinary(max), Varchar(max), and XML
- Support for SQL Server Unicode data types: Nchar, Nvarchar, Ntext, and Nvarchar(max)
- Support for the SQL Server 2005 transaction isolation levels: Snapshot, Read Committed with Snapshots, and Read Committed with Locks
- Supports the ability to execute a single SQL statement using multiple rows of values
- Keyset and dynamic cursor types
- Named Parameters
Advantages of DataDirect Driver
Limitations of Microsoft Driver
Best ODBC driver performance
Connection tuning options make it easy to tune the driver for maximum performance across a wide variety of application scenarios.
Microsoft's focus is not on ODBC access and therefore their ODBC driver is limited in terms of performance and in the ways that it can be tuned.
DataDirect offers an ODBC driver for SQL Server on every major platform – Windows (including v7), Linux and UNIX, including UNIX platforms such as IBM AIX, HP-UX, and Sun Solaris, across a wide range of processor architectures.
In addition, DataDirect distributes its own ODBC Driver Manager, the industry's most widely deployed driver manager for UNIX and Linux platforms, with every installation.
Microsoft's platform support for its own driver is limited to Windows. As a result, Microsoft licenses DataDirect's SQL Server ODBC driver for use with its applications that deploy on UNIX and Linux.
One driver supports multiple versions of SQL Server
Microsoft requires different drivers to support SQL Server 2000, 2005, and 2008. Applications that must access multiple versions of SQL Server must account for differences in these drivers to avoid exposing unexpected behavior to users.
Requires deploying Microsoft's bulk load tool, bcp, which is slower than DataDirect Bulk Load and restricts the platform support of bulk load to Windows-only. In addition, proprietary application code changes and data input formats are required to invoke this command-line tool.
Advanced security features
Microsoft's support for these security features is limited to applications deployed on Windows only.
Application failover and load balancing
Microsoft doesn't offer support for failover and load balancing in their driver.
Reliability for demanding production environments
More mission-critical applications depend on DataDirect for reliable data access than on any other vendor's software.
Microsoft's testing infrastructure for data connectivity is unknown.
Complete interoperability between databases
Applications can access different relational databases with less code and less maintenance, ensuring consistent functionality and behavior regardless of the database.
Interoperability is not provided because the Microsoft driver is designed to work only with SQL Server.
Comprehensive Technical Support Focused on database connectivity, our award-winning support includes 24x7 phone, web, email, forum, and an extensive knowledgebase.
Superior technical support is essential to resolve data connectivity issues quickly, thereby reducing the total cost of ownership of software.
Because Microsoft is not focused primarily on data connectivity, troubleshooting will be more difficult and take longer.
THE INDUSTRY STANDARD FOR ODBC DRIVERS
Progress® DataDirect Connect®, Connect XE® and Connect64® for ODBC are the fastest, most comprehensive suite of ODBC drivers for all major databases— Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, Salesforce.com, Sybase, Sybase IQ, database. com, force.com, and Progress® OpenEdge® 11 MT. Our unique “wire protocol” design eliminates the need for database client libraries, which greatly simplifies installation and administration and dramatically improves performance. In fact, these clientless drivers even outperform applications that use the database’s native (proprietary) API for database access. Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers are the industry standard for ODBC drivers, providing the advanced functionality, performance, and reliability developers need to quickly deliver high-quality, database-independent applications.
MOST COMPREHENSIVE SUITE OF ODBC DRIVERS FROM ONE VENDOR
You can count on Progress Software for reliable ODBC connectivity regardless of database or platform. Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers support all major databases, on every major platform, across a wide range of processor architectures.
In addition, a single driver supports multiple simultaneous connections to all supported versions of each database. This broadens the versions of databases you can support in a commercial product and eliminates the need to change drivers every time you change database versions in an enterprise environment.
- Supports all major databases— Oracle, Microsoft SQL Server, DB2, Salesforce.com, Sybase, Greenplum, PostgreSQL, MySQL, Informix, Apache Hive and more.
- Supports all major platforms—Windows, UNIX, Linux, and more
- Full 32-bit (Connect for ODBC) and 64-bit (Connect64 for ODBC) ODBC application support
- Each single-tier driver supports multiple database versions:
- Microsoft SQL Server 7, 2000, 2005, 2008, and 2012
- Windows Azure SQL Database
- Oracle (8i, 9i, 10g, and 11g)
- Multiple versions of DB2 running on Windows, UNIX, Linux, z/OS (OS/390), and iSeries (AS/400)
- Sybase 11.x, 12.x, 12.5.x, 15, and Sybase IQ 2 www.
HIGH-PERFORMANCE WIRE PROTOCOL DESIGN
Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers are available as “wire protocol,” meaning that the drivers do not require installation and maintenance of database client software and libraries. This unique wire protocol architecture dramatically improves performance and eliminates the need to install and keep up with the various versions of database client libraries such as Oracle Net (formerly Net8 and SQL*Net) and DB2 Connect for IBM DB2. Other benefits include:
- Simplified installation, configuration, and administration of applications
- Fastest available application data access performance—even faster than using the database’s native interface (such as Oracle OCI)
- Elimination of the need to test and certify against multiple versions of the database client libraries
PROVEN, RELIABLE DRIVERS OFFER BEST-IN-CLASS FUNCTIONALITY
Progress DataDirect ODBC drivers are the most widely used third-party ODBC drivers on the market and are tested under production conditions using the most comprehensive ODBC testing facility in the industry. Progress DataDirect consistently supports the latest, most complete implementation of the ODBC specification and the latest database versions and features, and offers enterprise functionality across all databases such as:
- No database client libraries required through unique wire protocol architecture
- Multiple performance tuning options and a Performance Tuning Wizard to achieve optimal driver performance for any application scenario
- Performance-oriented features such as connection pooling, statement pooling, data conversion, network wire management, and batching and throughput optimization
- 100% driver-implemented application failover and client-side load balancing, which do not require application code changes or expensive clustering software, such as Oracle RAC
- Robust security features such as Kerberos-based operating system (OS) authentication for Single Sign-on (SSL) and SSL-based data encryption over the network
- 100% driver-implemented, high-performance Bulk Load feature which does not require application code changes or database vendor bulk load tools
- Advanced connection pooling which does not require application code changes to enable or configure
- The industry’s best ODBC Driver Manager for UNIX/Linux
- Standards-based implementations of the latest database features and functionality
- Complete, consistent Unicode support across all platforms
- Built-in debugging capabilities
- Certified for leading virtualized environments
To learn more or download a free, 15 day trial of Progress® DataDirect Connect® or Connect64® for ODBC, go to www.progress.com/datadirect