Type 4 JDBC Driver
It’s Time to Move Past the Type 4 JDBC Driver
When it first became available more than a decade ago, the Type 4 JDBC driver was a welcome improvement on its predecessors. Since then, however, it’s become clear that Type 4 JDBC driver technology has significant shortcomings:
- The Type 4 JDBC driver’s response time and throughput performance is poor when deployed within certain JVMs, or within modern data access frameworks such as ORM or application servers.
- The Type 4 JDBC driver is CPU and memory-intensive, which is particularly problematic in virtualized environments.
- Enabling or configuring advanced functionality for a Type 4 JDBC driver usually requires accessing JDBC code, which is not available to applications running within ORM frameworks or application servers.
- Most Type 4 JDBC driver implementations require separate JAR files for different JVMs or database versions, and often platform-dependent shared libraries or DLLs to support certain functionalities.
- The typical Type 4 JDBC driver requires proprietary extensions in order for applications to leverage features such as BLOBs and CLOBs, XA, or high availability.
Progress DataDirect Delivers the First Type 5 JDBC Drivers
Progress® DataDirect now offers the industry’s first Type 5 JDBC drivers, engineered to leave the limitations of JDBC driver 4 behind. Our DataDirect Connect® drivers for JDBC deliver what application architects and developers need in today’s high-demand production environments:
- Unrestricted performance. Connect Type 5 JDBC drivers deliver consistently superior performance regardless of the runtime environment, the data access model, or the number of application users.
- Resource efficiency. Our Type 5 drivers use substantially fewer CPU and memory resources than the typical Type 4 JDBC driver.
- Codeless enhancement. Features and functionality can be added and tuned without changing application code.
- All-in-one deployment. Connect Type 5 JDBC drivers deploy as a single JAR file regardless of the runtime version or database version. Advanced functionality can be supported with the use of platform-dependent shared libraries or DLLs.
- Streamlined standard. Connect Type 5 JDBC drivers support features such as BLOBs and CLOBs, XA, and high availability without using proprietary extensions.
High-Performance Solutions for Any Environment
As the industry leader in data connectivity solutions, Progress DataDirect offers high-performance drivers for every environment. Our Type 5 JDBC solutions include a JDBC SQL Server driver, as well as drivers for Oracle, Sybase, Informix, DB2, and MySQL. We deliver superior ODBC solutions such as a driver for ODBC SQL Server, as well as ODBC drivers for every major database. From this Web site you can do a convenient ODBC Oracle download or a download of any of our drivers. Progress also offers enterprise mainframe solutions including mainframe business event processing.
Learn more about Progress DataDirect JDBC drivers, or download a driver today and start your free trial.